David King is a versatile and accomplished civil trial attorney with more than 25 years of experience. He has tried cases in several states for both plaintiffs and defendants on a broad range of matters, including business, real estate, insurance and personal injury/product liability disputes. Recently, he has handled unfair competition claims, copyright infringement cases, and employment cases for both employers and employees.
Because of his trial experience, Mr. King is often asked by other attorneys to handle, or appear as co-counsel in, lawsuits that are going to trial.
Examples of Mr. King’s cases include the following:
• He successfully sued the City of South Pasadena for civil rights violations on behalf of the former mayor and, after a seven week trial, obtained a verdict of $1.2 million plus attorneys’ fees.
• He was joint trial counsel in a San Diego land development fraud and malpractice dispute. After a nearly three-month trial, the jury returned a verdict over $4,000,000. With attorney’s fees, interest and settlements by various parties, the total recovery for the clients was approximately $8,000,000.
• He served as co-counsel an eminent domain trial representing a landowner whose property was being taken by the Redevelopment Agency for the City of Hawthorne. The jury returned a verdict in favor of the landowner of $2,482,000.
• Mr. King participated in a five week personal injury trial against the County of Los Angeles alleging that a faulty road design contributed to the client’s accident. The jury agreed, returning a verdict in excess of $4,300,000.
• Mr. King and his co-counsel recovered $4.5 million for a condominium association in a construction defect case by way of settlements and arbitration against the developer, contractor, sub-contractors and insurance carriers.
• Mr. King was brought in on the eve of trial to defend clients who were being sued on multi-million dollar personal guarantees (the guarantees had been acquired by a financial institution). Mr. King immediately tracked down and investigated witnesses who had not before been located. After Mr. King announced ready for trial and the financial institution learned of Mr. King’s work, the financial institution settled for $3,000.
• He defended a client who was sued on a personal guarantee for $6,000,000. Combing through thousands of documents, Mr. King found defects in the facts alleged. The case settled for less than two percent of the claim, payable in three installments.
Mr. King focuses on his clients’ economic goals, developing strategic solutions for trial or settlement to meet those goals.
1984 – J.D., The University of Chicago Law School
1981 – B.A., The University of Tennessee
King Cheng Miller & Jin, LLP
201 South Lake Avenue, Suite 706
Pasadena, CA 91101
(626) 304-9001 (Phone)
(626) 304-9002 (Fax)